Thursday, August 28, 2008

broad street sirens

Walking down Broad Street on my lunch break, I came across two women, or rather, they came across me. I looked up from the sidewalk and there were these pythonic twins with shiny hair pulled back in taut ponytails and matching black pantsuits sucking in the abundant sunlight. The moment I looked up, they simultaneously turned their faces towards me. Their eyes were striking; echoes of purple came from somewhere (probably their accessories or something, but I like to think magically). My heart leapt...shit was weird. Then they started talking to me.

"What's up, what's up? You a student?"

I stammered, said something about working in the big building behind us.

"Beautiful day," they said, at the same time, in the same cadence.

Then they crossed Broad Street. I sat down on a concrete ledge next to Washington Park, pulled out a cigarette, and watched them walk. They disappeared behind a white van in front of a bank and that was the last I saw of them.

1 comment:

bauline said...

THEY'RE REAL. I SEEN EM WITH MY OWN EYES.