Tuesday, August 19, 2008

nine to five

Graduated college two Thursdays ago, started my new job as a copyeditor/indexer for a prominent audiobook company the following Monday. I’m on the 16th floor of an ivory tower in Brick City, an open office of orange and green and lots of light coming in. The coffee machine here is much fancier than the one my boss was so proud of at my internship. Tall and silver with blinking blue lights and a built-in dispensary for used coffee pods – that’s what they’re called, “pods”, like a thousand rows of coffee bean clones in a field somewhere in South America - it's the Close Encounters of coffee machines.

Anyway, first week was last week and it was a good week – since then, they’ve moved my desk to the middle of the office, away from the picture window that displays a much different view of Newark than seen at eye level. Ornate churches rising up next to tenement buildings, the Passaic River snaking through the streets and out to the Hudson, the rolling hills of the Oranges, Millburn, and beyond. A little discouraged. Lube me up with a view, teach me what I need to know, and throw me in the basement. But that's OK. My discouragement has to do with more than my Milton-style exile to the middle of the office, but I won't get into it now. Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

bauline said...

i can't believe you posted this the DAY you told me not to create a blog!